In 1966 Milton Mayer wrote “They Thought They Were Free”. He wanted to understand how Germany, one of the most civilized nations on earth, slid in to Nazism. Mayor interviewed Germans who were alive during the rise of Nazism. This video is an excerpt from one of those interviews.
Germans did not wake up one morning and decide to be Nazis. The socialist conquest of their country happened when no one was watching. People were so busy with their own lives that no one noticed the multitude of small changes the government was making. When they did lift their heads the Nazis government always had a scape goat to focus attention on.
Doesn’t this sound familiar? We have certainly had our fair share of scapegoats recently. First it was people who would not stay home, then it was people who do not wear masks, now it is people who will not be vaccinated. The government has kept Karen busy. So many to hate so little time.
So what else has happened in the “free world” while we were busy hating our neighbors? According to the media not much. I tend to disagree. I think there were a number of things that should concern people. Below is a partial list of things that I think warranted more attention.
- Freedom of speech is being slowly eliminated.
- Property rights were infringed when governments decided who and how many could be in your home.
- Governments intentionally bankrupted small businesses in support of large business.
- Independent journalists were imprisoned to prevent them from contradicting government affiliated media.
- History was re-written to discredit scientists who did not work for government.
- Christians were jailed.
- Opposition politicians were jailed.
- Western politicians concealed that the Chinese communist party engineered and released a virus.
- This senile old pervert somehow became the leader of the most powerful nation on earth.
I must be a little odd because I believe that any one of these items was more important than what the media and public did fixate on. For 18 months COVID cases was all that mattered. The collapse of our medical systems was imminent. Of course, nothing close to that happened. Our media kept us busy worrying about something that might happen to distract us from things that were happening.
Rights that took thousands of years to attain were eliminated bit by bit in just 18 months. That should have been a difficult struggle but it was not. All that was required of most is that they do nothing.