This letter lifts my spirits, but will it result in anything different? He speaks about rebuilding the economy, but does he understand that means lifting the lockdowns and pledging never again starting the downward spiral of restrictions? Does he realize the new person must fire Deena Hinshaw?
Jason Kenney has been operating outside the law for 14 months now. It is way past time for MLAs to stop cheering and start standing up for our rights.
Below are the first 2 clauses of the Alberta Charter of rights. Read them and ask yourself if anything the UCP has done during this “pandemic” did not violate the bill of rights.
- It is hereby recognized and declared that in Alberta there exist without discrimination by reason of race, national origin, colour, religion, sexual orientation, sex, gender identity or gender expression, the following human rights and fundamental freedoms, namely:
- the right of the individual to liberty, security of the person and enjoyment of property, and the right not to be deprived thereof except by due process of law.
- the right of the individual to equality before the law and the protection of the law
- freedom of religion
- freedom of speech
- freedom of assembly and association
- freedom of the press
- the right of parents to make informed decisions respecting the education of their children.
- Every law of Alberta shall, unless it is expressly declared by an Act of the Legislature that it operates notwithstanding the Alberta Bill of Rights, be so construed and applied as not to abrogate, abridge or infringe or to authorize the abrogation, abridgment or infringement of any of the rights or freedoms herein recognized and declared.
If we get rid of Jason Kenney and the new leadership does not immediately remove all restrictions, then we have accomplished nothing. We have just traded one unlawful administration for another. Everyone needs to write their MLA and inform them that it is time to stand up and be counted. They have been silent as Jason Kenney went on a 14-month crime spree. Their refusal to stand up for the law makes them equally liable. There will be trials when this is over. Do they want to be witnesses or defendants?
They can not keep us on our knees forever.